Gluten Free Victoria Sponge Ingredients
- 225g Gluten Free White Self Raising Flour (I use doves farm flour)
- 225g Sugar
- 225g Butter ( Not margarine!!)
- 4 Large Beaten Eggs
- 1/2 Bicarbonate of Soda
- Strawberry Jam I have no idea how much jam I use. I just kind of do it by eye so you'll have to do the same!
Butter Cream Ingredients
- 85g Softened Butter ( Just leave it out the fridge for hour to soften it)
- 225g Icing sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 1 Tablespoon of Milk
Most shop brought gluten free Victoria sponge cakes are a little lack luster in both the taste and texture department. This is not the case if you are willing to put the extra effort and bake one yourself using this recipe. You wont be able to tell the difference between this and a 'normal' Victoria Sponge, both the taste and texture are spot on with this recipe
Making a simple sponge is about as easy as it gets. But baking is a pretty exact science so do follow the recipe carefully.
- Start by pre heating that oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Then cream the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the beaten egg a little as a time, beating the mixture as you go. (Make sure your beating it not just giving it a stir!)
- Once you've beating the egg into the mix add the bicarbonate of soda. Then slowly add the flour mixing it as you go ( Don't beat it now you've beaten it enough, Its time for a gentle mix at this point)
- Once all the flour has been added into the mixture. Pop it into two 8" round cake tins and stick it in your preheated for 25 to 20 minutes.
- Now for the butter cream, again super easy but unbelievably tasty! Start..... and finish by creaming the icing sugar, butter, milk and vanilla essence together in a mixing bowl (Using electric whisk a will speed things up a bit)
- All that's left now is to remove your cakes from the oven, spread the butter cream and jam on them, and sandwich them together then dust with icing sugar. P.s....... Do let the cakes cool down before you spread the butter cream icing them otherwise icing melts!